Friday, May 4, 2012

The Comic’s Haven: It was an Honor.


The Old Catskills Resorts were once a haven for American Comedy; an honor which has forever made its mark on the region, if not the world.  Every year, tens of thousands of New Yorkers would flock to the Hudson Valley to relax in luxury, enjoy the outdoors, and be entertained by the pioneers of modern stand-up.

Milton Berle, George Burns, Sid Caesar, Don Rickles, Jackie Mason… the list goes on and on.  Perhaps the greatest legacy of The Kings of the Catskills is “the one-liner”.

While many of the old Catskill comics have passed on, the one liner still thrives today.  In honor of the Catskills heritage as a comedy haven, we’ve complied the best of the best of the one-liners of old.



I just got back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport.

I've been in love with the same woman for 49 years. If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me!

The doctor gave a man six months to live. The man couldn't pay his bill, so the doctor gave him another six months.

You have the Midas touch. Everything you touch turns to a muffler. 

A doctor has a stethoscope up to a man's chest. The man asks, "Doc, how do I stand?" The doctor says, "That's what puzzles me!"

I wish my brother would learn a trade, so I would know what kind of work he's out of.

A car hit an elderly man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable?" The man says, "I make a living."

I was playing golf. I swung, missed the ball, and got a big chunk of dirt. I swung again, missed the ball, and got another big chunk of dirt. Just then, 2 ants climbed on the ball saying, "Let's get up here before we get killed!" 

Doctor: "You'll live to be 60!" Patient: "I AM 60!" Doctor: "See! What did I tell you?"

Patient: "I have a ringing in my ears." Doctor: "Don't answer!"

While the days of Catskill Comedy may be gone, the Hudson Valley is still a favorite destination for tens of thousands of visitors every year.  With endless opportunities for recreation, entertainment, relaxation, and outdoor activites, it’s no wonder.

Formerly "The Granit", The Hudson Valley Resort & Spa, is honored to have been a part of the great Catskill haven of comedy.  Conveniently located just 90 miles from New York City, we're always happy to host groups of any size.  With 41,000 sq. ft. of banquet and meeting space, grand ballrooms and theater, we’re tickled pink to have you.  Give us a look, and find out how affordable true customer service and comfort can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts